Global Science & Technology, a growing scientific and high technology firm, is seeking a Senior Visualization Engineer to support the NOAA Visualization Lab. Position is located in Silver Spring, MD.
** Position Contingent upon Award of Contract **
The Senior Visualization Engineer will be responsible for designing, analyzing, and developing applications for visualizing, processing, and manipulating geophysical data. The candidate will provide professional products and services in support of NOAA communication activities, outreach and education, and program and project management.
• Designs, installs and operates Esri ArcGIS systems within a cloud-computing infrastructure, including process design, resource allocation and network communications implementation.
• Develops and implements the theory, concept, design, prototyping, procurement, construction, operation and management of this satellite science visualization and multimedia practice.
• Responsible for computing resources and configuration, NOAA employee and contractor training, satellite data management, web systems development, content creation and strategic planning.
• Designs and manages geographical information (GIS) systems architectures for data ingest, processing, analysis and content creation to coexist with evolving network topologies and security postures.
• Originates, maintains and plans agile framework product management using Jira, Confluence, and GIT.
• Identifies meteorological or environmental features of interest and develop individual images and/or animations of satellite imagery for inclusion on NOAA website and social media accounts.
• Develops and maintains processes for automated data ingest and cataloging.
• Supports the development of educational materials.
• Some travel is expected.
• B.S. degree in Computer Graphics, Computer Science, Geography, or related discipline, with 15 years of professional experience. Appropriate years of relevant experience can substitute for degree.
• Experience with NetCDF, IDL, McIDAS, and ArcGIS, shell scripts (such as bash, sh, csh, etc.).
• Ability to write Maya Embedded Language (MEL) scripts and Pixar Photorealistic Renderman Shaders.
• Experience with data processing in a real-time environment.
• Ability to collect, analyze, and interpret raw science data.
• Demonstrated proficiency in logical problem solving and proficiency in assessing all relevant clues to discover the cause of failures and recommend solutions.
• Able to implement advanced computer graphics concepts.
• Understanding of various geographic map projections.
• Maintain current knowledge of video formats and their characteristics.
• Ability to identify trends in the computer graphics industry and plan for the future.
• Ability to identify strengths and weaknesses of individuals for work assignments.
• Ability to communicate/understand/work with other team members, scientists, outreach personnel, and the public.
• Knowledge of various science disciplines and the ability to learn/understand new science topics.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Ability to work in a team environment.
• Experience working with satellite data, data visualization, geospatial databases, video and animation service, cloud computing.
• Art skills useful to help with aesthetic layouts and compositions.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Understanding of Section 508 compliance.
• Prior NOAA experience, especially with Science on a Sphere or GeoPlatform.
Physical Qualification(s) Required:
• Ability to use a computer.
Mental Qualification(s) Required:
• Ability to multitask.
U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Residency is highly desirable.
Selected applicants will be subject to a government background investigation.
GST offers competitive salaries; vacation, sick, and holiday leave; major medical, dental, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance; 401K retirement plan; tuition assistance; and opportunities for employee career growth and development.
You may also fax your resume to (240) 366-5994. If you need assistance, please call 301-474-9696.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans' status. GST is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.