Global Science & Technology, Inc., a fast growing scientific and high technology firm, is seeking Systems Engineers to support a NOAA program. The position is located in Suitland, MD.
Systems Engineers needed to support operations on the NOAA Environmental Satellite Processing and Distribution System (ESPDS). Engineering support to be provided for NOAA’s Product Distribution and Access (PDA) system, which will distribute near-real-time data from both current and next generation weather satellites. Positions are based at the NOAA Satellite Operations Facility in Suitland, MD.
• Provide engineering support for NOAA’s Product Distribution and Access (PDA) system.
• Support the delivery of the system from the development contractor and the transition into the production environment.
• Provides high level installation, maintenance, and operational support of specialized database and infrastructure software such as software engineering tools, DBMS's, virtualization servers, email servers, directory servers, web servers, etc.
• Provides identification/fixing of problems within existing software, design/implementation of new systems and enhancement of existing applications.
• Participates in analysis, design and new construction of next generation IT applications.
• Responsible for understanding the needs of the customers and the realities of commercially available IT products and creating requirements that will allow implementation by the development team and COTS products.
• Focus on design and implementation of support technologies for an enterprise deployment of Active Directory and remediation of the existing environment, Storage and Servers (both Physical and Virtualized) Infrastructure.
• Design, implement and configure the systems needed to support an enterprise AD infrastructure.
• Design, implement and configure the enterprise server infrastructure and have upgraded an enterprise environment from 2003 to 2012 R2.
• Design, migrate and configure SCOM from 2007 to 2012.
• Create training material(s) to provide to the customer on all solutions implemented.
• Create standard operating procedures on all solutions implemented.
• May involve supporting on-call duties for off hours (evenings/weekends/holidays) anomaly response.
• Develop software solutions that will meet or exceed business requirements; the development effort includes designing and implementing modules to the system specifications, conducting unit testing, troubleshooting issues and producing detailed proposals to resolve issues.
• Design engineering solutions per systems requirements; support code reviews, unit test, and integrate coded modules, assist developers in resolving issues, support testing and remediate defects, support users through troubleshooting and analysis of production logs and data.
• Actively participate and contribute in SDLC activities such as solution design, work effort estimation, assisting peers with technical challenges and code reviews.
• Perform production support activities such as monitor system processes, evaluate the outcome of system processes, work through system exceptions, and create processes to monitor and report on the overall system health.
• Propose, design, and implement updates or improvements to processes and infrastructure hardware such as network devices, servers and workstations.
• Familiarity with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
• Rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• Perform a variety of complicated tasks.
• May lead and direct the work of others.
• A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
• Work after hours and at other NOAA facilities maybe required periodically
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems or related field and a minimum of 8+ years relevant experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
• Experience with Java/JEE, SQL scripting, ActivMQ messaging / Enterprise Service Bus, PHP, Python, and Shell scripting, RHEL 6/7 on VM-ware, Windows 10, Apache, WSO2, ClearCase, Subversion, Bamboo and JIRA.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• C, C++, Fortran, IDL
• Tripwire Enterprise and Tripwire Log Center
• Solarwinds Enterprise monitoring and alerting
• Systems Administration experience in Linux and Windows environments
• Database programming and administration. Oracle preferred
• netCDF-4, ArcGIS, other meteorological/scientific data formats
• Experience supporting a system in an Enterprise IT environment
• Demonstrated troubleshooting skills
• Waterfall and/or Agile System Development Life Cycle (SCLC)
• NASA/NOAA ground system and product generation/distribution experience
• Experience working on satellite ground systems
• Experience with LAN and WAN infrastructure
• Experience with IT Security Zone Architecture design and implementation
• Knowledge of Websense
Physical Qualification(s) Required:
• Ability to sit for up to 80% of time
• Ability to lift or carry objects up to 25 lbs.
Mental Qualification(s) Required:
• Must be able to work in team environment with minimal supervision, be self-motivated and able to define plan and implement long-term goals, tasks and projects
• Possess ability to technically lead a project through the life cycle and consult with the customer on business requirements
• Excellent problem solving, multitasking, troubleshooting skills and attention to details are required to work in this challenging and dynamic environment
• Very strong interpersonal, customer service, result oriented and team building skills are essential
• Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action
U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) is required.
Selected applicants will be subject to a government background investigation.
GST offers competitive salaries; vacation, sick, and holiday leave; major medical, dental, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance; 401K retirement plan; tuition assistance; and opportunities for employee career growth and development.
You may also fax your resume to (240) 366-5994. If you need assistance, please call 301-474-9696.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans' status. GST is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.